Friday, August 15, 2014

European nudity


Sure, when I decided to come to Germany people told me about how there's a lot more nude pictures posted around Europe than I would be used to, and there are, but I guess I didn't really think about how their views on public nudity would be different as well. 

You can imagine then I was a little surprised the first time I went swimming and all the girls in the showers unashamedly showered naked in our communal shower. It's a locker room. It makes sense, but in America usually there is just that one kind of strange lady that decides to get totally naked around a bunch of ladies and everyone else rinses off in their swim suits then kind of changes facing a wall to be semi private about it. Here it was everyone. 90 year old women, 40 year old women, teenagers, babies. And it was cool that everyone was just comfortable with it. 

So yesterday when I went swimming I was in the process of following the rules of european culture as I was in the shower room, and I was feeling happy about this (though it was only really me and one of the little girls, so it's not like it was very public)... until I found out the wrong way that THESE locker rooms are for everyone.

At least I assume they are for everyone, because a man and his little baby walked by. I looked up right in time to make eye contact with them. They had swimsuits. I, on the other hand....

No one seemed too phased by this. No one meaning him, his baby and the little girl I was watching. I tried to pretend I was totally fine with that current situation, but instead I think I ended up kind of shrinking into the corner wall.

So. That happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment