Friday, August 29, 2014

Weird dancing & the boy that ended up being right


Once a year in all German speaking countries the Young LDS Adults have a big convention where they have fun, make friends, and I think they secretly all hope that they fall in love. Last year it was in Switzerland. This year, it happened to be in Hamburg! Last week! So, I got to go to pieces of it. 

It was a strange/wonderful cultural event that I got to witness. Some things are similar, like the talent show. Though it was different because it was at this amazingly beautiful park and there was more rapping involved than most church talent shows I've attended. (Notice lovely pictures below. This park had loads of bunnies!! Bunnies I tell you! Adorable.)

And then some things very, very different. For example: their dancing. 

They do partner dancing, but it wasn't like any partner dance I've done before.

At first I just thought the first guy that asked me to dance really didn't know how to dance and was just making up this weird kind of jerky step that he taught me. Then my second and third partners did the exact same thing...

Apparently it is called the Disco Fox. 

There was also that awkward moment after first being asked to dance when they music died 20 seconds into the dance and they started what ended up being a really long, boring presentation. This meant my partner was stuck for me for about an hour instead of the intended 2 minutes of a normal dance. He also felt obligated to translate the presentation for me and I didn't have the heart to tell him I actually didn't need any of the translation because it was all about the dorms they would be staying in, transportation, food, etc. and I was staying at my current home instead.

But it's alright, because I think he was happy to practice english and he served his mission in Ireland so he had this cute irish german accent that I didn't mind listening to. That is, I didn't mind it until he noticed I didn't have a blue band, because I somehow got into the dance without paying? (not intentional)
"Where's your band?"
"Oh! Um... I don't know? I guess I don't have one."
"Are you one of those people that try to sneak into conventions without paying?"

Then I responded with some sarcastic comment. Lesson: Just because someone speaks your language does not mean humor transfers over. Especially sass.

Lets just say it was good to have that hour over with.

Oh, and in the end, we never did find the person where you pay, so I guess that guy was totally right about me. 








1 comment:

  1. Ahem, yes, well Germans are kind of known for having a very different sense of humor than Americans. Great story, though. :)

    ReplyDelete