Friday, September 5, 2014

#1. Let's talk about Bikes


There is a wonderful thing that happens here called everyone bikes. That’s the English form of the word. I love bikes, and I have especially come to love seeing adorable old ladies biking all their groceries home. While being in Bargteheide, I had my own bike. It usually meant I would bike to random places in the evenings, which does something for my soul.

If I’m making a list of things I’ll miss about Europe (and I am, starting right now) this is number one.

Also, one of my favorite scenes is seeing lovely tiny old ladies riding their bikes totally loaded down with groceries that probably weigh the same amount as they do, yet they are somehow still able to lift their bike onto a bus. Amazing.

Oh and below are some other things I will miss about Germany. I'm not leaving for another two weeks, but I officially left my sweet nannying family to go tour around Europe for the next two weeks, so I'll miss these daily life perspectives.

#2. Amazing yogurt and Quark.

#3. This cute tradition of couples putting locks with their initials on them on fences. They are everywhere.

#4. Random street performers everywhere.

#5. The CRAZY amounts of german bread and cheese I eat everyday. I never knew it was possible to eat so much bread...

#6. Incredible buildings on every street.

#7. Actually, no I won't miss the ketchup frenzy here. Not much of a ketchup fan, but look at all this ketchup! They have curry flavored ketchup. yep.

#8. Trying different foods. Below is bologna that the kids loved to eat. I have tried a lot of different foods here. Some so delicious others... not my favorite. The strangest to me by far is a spread that they make with raw hamburger, onions and seasonings. They spread the raw hamburger on bread and eat it like that. 

There are obviously so many more, but they will have to be saved for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment