Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A farewell to Hamburg


I never ever imagined that I would "live" in Germany for a time. Sure, it's only been a month, but it was living - not just touring that I did here and I have grown to love Germany even more than I thought.

Especially Hamburg. I am 30 minutes by train from Hamburg and it is one of the most beautiful cities I have seen. I will miss the harbor, and HBF. I will miss watching people and wandering around the streets. Every time I have gone into the city I take too many pictures, but it's because I can never quite get it right. It's so pretty.

I will also miss this cute tradition:

Couples have their name on a padlock and link them onto fences. They are everywhere, and it makes me happy when I see them. 

While here I went to Lion King, (um, wow), walked the tunnel under the harbor, got really excited to ride in the car elevator, sit and thought in all the major churches (one of my favorites is St. Nikolai, which was bombed in WWII and they left it only partially standing as a memorial), eaten fisch brotchen, and who knows how many franzbrotchen, ridden the ferry, walked around the parks and just explored. 

I've never been a tourist alone before. I saw this city with the wonderful family I met here and love but also several times by myself. I have learned that I sometimes am really happy to be alone. 

I am leaving Hamburg now to go see other parts of Europe. It's sad saying goodbye, but it's harder saying goodbye to the people. I'm always surprised how attached I get in short times. 




No comments:

Post a Comment